Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Monday, July 05, 2010

My Mother

Well, lots has been going on. I am as huge as I can possibly get now. I am worried that this baby will never want to come out and I will somehow be like this forever. I have had quite a few meltdowns. Really, any time she wants to come out would be good with me. We are ready.
So, last night my mother... who I have to say I love more than anyone in the world... well, not more than Ken, just different...
said to us last night that she wasn't sure about being called "Grandma." I have heard this story from friends, but never thought my own mother would be one to push aside what I would consider a true badge of honor. Mark piped in immediately and stated, "Well Grandpa is taken." So, I asked if she was feeling too young to be a grandmother, she denied that as a reason. She really didn't have a reason. So we threw some ideas out at her all of which she rejected. Nana, Nanna, Abuela, Abuelita, etc. I said "Julie" thinking for sure she would reject that as well, considering how we have both identified "Mom" as an important name. I did have cousins who grew up calling their parents by their first names, which I always considered pretty weird. No offense to them of course. So, when she said, that seems like it might be the best option, I was truly floored. I basically told her that I was not going to have my daughter calling her Julie. That is just not going to happen. It's a little too "Berkeley" for even me.
Ken was on line this morning looking up nick names for grandparents. Bubbie, Mimi, DiDi, Bubbles, Lola, Lita, Deda. Or how about Big Momma?
Maybe she would like JuJu?
I have a feeling it is going to end up being Grandma. Maybe our daughter will have to be the one to break her in or something?

No comments: