Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Monday, November 17, 2008

Living In Mexico

I am completely obsessed with the idea of living in Mexico. I hate to admit it, but I was resigned to McCain winning the election and moving to Mexico, if not looking forward to it. Now, of course I am thrilled with our new president elect, but now I don't have a good excuse to get the hell out of here.
I still want to end up in Mexico someday, sooner than later. The only problem is figuring out how to successfully live there and support myself. One idea is to go to school there for something. Another idea is to live there 6 months of the year, like in the winter. I would have to give up snowboarding, but it might even be worth it. Or I could own a bed and breakfast... Or maybe teach English? Or both? Does any one else have any brilliant ideas?
I miss the beach and the heat, and the food, and speaking Spanish every day. When I hear Mayra (my Spanish speaking worker) on the phone, I get excited that I can understand what she is saying.
I know I wouldn't want to live somewhere as remote as Olinala. But at the same time I probably wouldn't want to be in a place like Acapulco either. I have a friend who just returned from Oaxaca, on a visit with his mother. His mother is talking about buying a place and living there half the year. I have another friend who is still down there (I believe) finishing (hopefully, because I am getting impatient) a film about Mexican culture.
I keep thinking I need to write a book about Mexico. But I have seen the ones I want to write, so I need to think of something that isn't already out there.
I feel it in my bones. It will happen, I just need to percolate some more.

No comments: