Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Reflections On a Beautiful Holiday

Caroline and I arrived home a week ago tomorrow night. The week has flown by. I am currently collecting all of my photos in one album so I can post them, shortly. It is rough getting back into the swing of things, although it has been great hanging out with my doggie and kitties.

Saturday morning I woke up and was locked in the condo. Caroline had gone out to take some photos or something and had locked the door on her way out. Curry rang the bell and I went scurrying around to find my key, to no avail. I finally realized I must have left it at the Penthouse, Melvin and Cheryl's place. I had to wait for Caroline to return before I could run up and check it out.

We had gone to dinner with Melvin, Cheryl, Carol, Laurie, and Curry. After dinner we went to finish off the beer and rum at the Penthouse and watch Cheech & Chong (which I have never seen). I was so tired when I got up to go, I left my key on the table. In any case, the key was there and not out to sea or something.

We packed everything and took it all to Curry's place. After hanging there for an hour or so we all went out for breakfast at 100% Natural. I have to tell you, crossing the main street (to get to 100%) is risking your life every time. It is La Costera, a 3 lane street in each direction with a large median running down it for the entire length of the beach. There are very few stop lights and they last a very long time making it almost impossible to cross most of the time. This time was no different. And Curry almost got knocked off crossing the intersection. Two lanes of traffic stopped, a car in the third lane not paying attention flies through the intersection. Curry stopped in the nick of time. Nothing like a little adrenalin to get you going for breakfast. 100% has a terrific breakfast but I had eaten so much the night before all I really wanted was a bowl of fruit, yogurt, granola and honey. It was perfect.

Next we went for a last quick swim in the pool. I was hoping to get in the ocean again, but after Caroline's run in with the waves and undertow, she wasn't too keen on getting back in the ocean. She preferred the calm of the pool. So, I stayed in the pool too. After 30 minutes or so, I needed to get out, shower and get ready for our final departure to Acapulco airport. Caroline and I talked about drawing with eyeliner or lipstick on Curry's bathroom mirror, but somehow (how?) decided to play nice.

After hugs all around we took off for the airport at around 12:30pm.

We arrived at the airport in one piece, which in Mexico you never know! We got our bags checked and through security in a heartbeat. Actually, my makeup kit has an eyebrow tweezers which the security guards wanted to see. Once they saw them, they gave them back and didn't say much of anything.

At a certain point Caroline and I finally pull up a seat at the bar get a beer with Cheryl and Melvin.
Just as Cheryl and Melvin are saying goodbye, Caroline realizes that her carry-on bag is missing and she completely freaks out. She re-traces her steps into the bathroom. Not there. She takes off for the security gate getting more and more anxious that it is gone forever, which would really suck because all of her gifts were wrapped up in the bag, including all the silver jewelry she bought. Oh, except the bracelet she bought that is pretty much stuck on her arm.
She found her bag at the gate with a bunch of other bags that had also been left there. They ex-rayed it and asked her what was inside so she could make a positive ID of her bag. Interestingly there were a number of other people who had also left things. So, although Caroline kept saying, "Who does that?! Leaves their bag of gifts at the security depot?!" Apparently lots of people.
Whew. She found it and nothing was missing at all.
We boarded our plane and sat separately. They only had one emergency exit row seat which obviously Caroline needed. If you hadn't noticed, she is kinda tall (smile). Actually, I know many of you haven't met Caroline, but she is 6'3". While traveling in Mexico she endured stares from people ALL the time. On at least one occasion someone in a silver shop said, "Wow, did you know you are really tall." News ALERT! I think she gets this often, but somehow it came to be one of those inane things we would randomly say to each other when things were getting weird or boring or someone else said something dumb. Our slogans of the trip were, "By the way, did I mention I almost died yesterday (or a few days ago, or now just I almost died in Mexico)." And, "Did you notice, you are kinda tall?"

I am literally falling asleep writing this... I need to rest my eyes.

No comments: