Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Moscow Style

Moscow women don’t eat, walk a lot and wear impossibly high heels. Actually, it is true, there are very few over weight people in general in Moscow & St. Petersburg. The women are fashionistas for the most part. They are skinny and have great style. I think they probably spend a ton of money on fashion. There are designer stores everywhere and they aren’t for the tourists for the most part. When I first arrived it was quite cold in Moscow and the uniform for most women was black shirt & jeans tucked into tall black, spiked heeled boots. Often the boots were platform with stiletto heels. I tried to imagine wearing something like that and got a foot ache just thinking about it. Then I pondered the idea of walking around in those on snow, ice and slush. Not my idea of a good time.
The other thing I saw a lot of is the recently deemed stylish shoe boot. A stiletto heeled shoe with a short boot-like upper bit. I know my friend Maeve hates that style, so every time I saw a pair I thought of her. I didn’t see one pair that would have been acceptable. As soon as the weather started getting warm (which was pretty much by the second or third day) people shed their boots for more comfortable walking wear, like stiletto (fuck me) pumps. It was particularly funny to see girls trying to walk on the cobblestone at the Red Square with those things on. Actually, many also opted for flats, fancy loafers, and even some sandals. It seemed that people were having a hard time believing that it was going to stay warm. Even when it was in the high 70s I saw lots of coats, scarves, and sweaters.
Men’s fashion was nothing to get excited about. Mostly men were non-descript and could have been from any country. There were lots of pointy-ish black dress shoes. I even saw one guy with white shoes. My mother always told me not to trust a man in white shoes. Take her advice. Gym shoes don’t count.

No comments: