Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Zits, Farts, Itches, & Other Fun

So, really... this is what you have to look forward to when you are pregnant. I really haven't had acne in years. Now, one whole side of my face is covered with zits. They don't go away quickly as they are relatively deep pockets of puss on the face. Lovely. And very appealing, right? I guess it could be worse, I could have them on my chest and back as well. I should feel fortunate.
Farts: these are the worst smelling gas bombs you can ever imagine. I really feel sorry for Ken who has to sleep next to me on a nightly basis. I try to keep matches next to the bed for those occasions when I have inadvertently "smoked" him out. Do women ever really talk about this problem? Is there anything that can be done to thwart this issue? Sometimes it is concerning they smell so bad. It's sometimes like something really did die up there and it is trying to get out. Ken will often suggest that I try taking a poop to assist with the problem. And not to be gross, but that sometimes works. And wow! I wonder how all that fits up there. Where did it all come from? I am eating for two, but shitting too?! Wow. That is no joke.
Since I have been pregnant, I am about 10 times more itchy than I was before. And I was already itchy before that, so you can imagine how itchy that might be. It is nearly impossible to ever feel completely free of the itch. Before the pregnancy I think there was some anxiety related itchiness. When I got home from Mexico (where I was virtually itch free) I found out I was pregnant and immediately started having the normal side effects including zits, bad gas, nausea, and extremely dry skin. It has gotten a little bit better, the air is a little less dry than it has been over the last couple of months, and I have gotten really good at making sure I am moisturizing well and often.
Did I mention mood swings? I have stabilized some but I really was going through it (and therefore putting Ken through it) during the first 9 weeks. I can cry at the drop of a hat. I try not to watch movies that will get me going. I even cried at the end of the Hangover! Really.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was pregnant I cried watching a commercial for a march of the penguins type movie about Polar Bears. There was a baby polar bear playing and I lost it.

Karin said...

I've always cried at the drop of a hat, but during all 3 pregnancies I was such a waterfall,sometimes I didn't even want to go anywhere. Gas? check. Sometimes eating a lot of yogurt helped...zits I didn't get..but itchy? I had cholestasis with Cullen (live issue) and I practically scratched off all my skin (mostly at night when I didn't have other things to distract me).
It all passes, and you are left with such a wonderous little person at the end that it all becomes this short blur, and doesn't seem like it was anything at all :-)
~Karin