Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Monday, November 05, 2007

Carnitas Galore

On the way into Delores Hidalgo, we went to eat carnitas at Vincente's. Brianne told me the rule: "As you are walking into the restaurant, do not look into the big pot on the left." Well, of course I had to check it out... This is why I don't cook carnitas myself! It was a giant stainless steel vat of oil and pig parts; all the parts. (Maybe I can get Anthony to try the cabeza/head? He will eat anything!) But, damn that shit was good! We ordered chips and guacamole. You have to order chips down here, they don't just come with a meal. Usually there is at least one salsa, in this case there were two, one hot and one salsa fresca. And a pile of carnitas, both ribs and white meat, with loads of handmade tortillas. GOOD GOOD GOOD! It seems to be a popular place among the gringo population here as well as with the Mexican folks. At around 1pm when we arrived there were only a few other people. But by the time we left we were surrounded... a giant family of Mexicans were sitting right next to us eating chicharron (fried pig skin), empanadas, tacos, and carnitas.

After stuffing ourselves, we headed down the street. Someone asked Doug, who was driving, where he was headed and weren't we going to the ceramics shops. He said,"Oh, I was heading for ice cream. Were we going shopping?" We didn't stop for ice cream. I am not too crazy for ice cream, but hear it is excellent down here.

The shops were actually HUGE warehouses FULL of plates, bowls, cups, sinks, vases, dining sets, spoons, boxes, planters, whimsical animals for the wall or for plants, and even a fish serving dish that is made with space underneath for a little fire to keep the food warm. That I will have to have a photo of so you can see it! Very funny. Basically, anything you can think of, you could find. And everything is painted with brilliant colors in various patterns, many with a floral theme. I thought if I didn't bring too much money I wouldn't spend much. Famous last words! I borrowed some cash and got everything I wanted. And then some! I keep wondering how I am going to get it all home without breaking it.

I am making dinner tonight: pasta with shrimp and veggies, and a salad. And maybe even chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm.

2 comments:

fabian said...

mmm

chicharonez.

My dad used to make them when we had carne hacada.

fabian said...

mmmmm

chicharonez

Papi me los hacia cuando comimos carne hacada. LLeno de grasa pero muy delicioso.