Mexican Sunset

Mexican Sunset

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Escuela y Mas Escuela

Buenos dias!
I haven't had time to write for a couple of days... mostly because I have been in school studying Spanish 4 hours a day. I think today is Thursday and today is my last private lesson. That is good because I am feeling like I really want to do something else in the afternoon, but I can't because I have class. Anyway, I can really tell that my Spanish is MUCH better. I definitely need to continue taking classes during the year and maybe find a conversation group or a cute Mexican man to speak with regularly. I need to start up my salsa dancing again!
Anyway, not much has happened here. I have been busy studying and have done a little shopping here and there. I am really enjoying hanging out with Doug and Brianne. We have had some pretty interesting and deep conversations. It wasn't deep but last night, they told me about 2 girls, traveling gringas, who died in their hotel room because they left their heater on in the night and it killed them with carbon monoxide poisoning. Awful. I had no idea about those heaters because I have never had one. When I first arrived, Doug was explaining how to use the heater in my room and told me not to leave it on when I was sleeping. He didn't tell me why! Even so, I have been very careful to turn it off every night. I guess when he said it he made an impression (and I want to be good guest). Anyway. I don't think it would be possible for me to die in the room where I am staying because it is really big and airy with lots of cracks in the windows and a very tall ceiling.

The ceiling is really cool actually. It is a dome made with brick. Every morning I wake up looking at it and wondering how the hell they made it. I am certain they built it by hand, but I have no idea how. It has a beautiful symetric pattern emminating (my spelling sucks and I don't know how to use spell check on this Mac) out from the center.

There have been a few experiences I will write about when I have more time. One is garbage collection day, another is about the old ladies I have met, and yesterday I met a guy with candied apples and guyabas. He let me take a photo of them (but not of him). Those are the ones that come to mind right now, but I am sure there are a few others... I try to write the gist of it down when it happens so I won't forget. I am 40 now after all. The brain just isn't the same. :)

No comments: